Of course, you can decide to delete your social media accounts such as your Instagram for any number of reasons – but what if you’ve forgotten the password to your Insta account? If you can’t access your own account, your Insta profile will likely be online for a long time, even if you want to get rid of it. Or perhaps your Instagram account got hacked and someone changed the password?
Victims of the 32665 Instagram text scam often want to delete their Insta account, even though they can’t access it anymore because the hacker already changed their password.
Removing your Instagram account without your password or login details can certainly be a hassle.
Usually, removing a social media profile without password credentials is pretty much impossible.
Don’t panic yet, however, because there are certainly some tips you can use to try and regain access to your Insta profile and delete it permanently.
If you’ve still got your email, your phone number, or your Facebook account linked to your Instagram, chances are you’ll be able to delete it – even without a password.
And even if you don’t have any of the above, we’ll help you find out what your options are.
How to delete your Instagram account without a password via your phone number
If you’ve ever logged into your Instagram account with your phone number or used two-factor authentication, you’re in luck! You can simply ask the social network for a password reset, and then you’ll be able to delete the app with your new password. The key here is your linked phone number, which will be used to log in to your Instagram.
Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Go to the Instagram app on your device or head to instagram.com.
- Click the ‘Forget password‘ button.
- You’ll see two tabs: email and phone. Choose the ‘Phone‘ tab.
- Enter your phone number (or the number you used to create this Instagram account). Make sure your country code is entered correctly.
- Next, you’ll want to press the “Send Login Link” button.
- In a minute, head over to your texts or messages and click on the login link that Instagram sent you.
- You’ll be able to choose a new password for your Instagram.
- Log in to your account, head over to settings, and delete your account.
How to delete your Instagram account without a password via your email address or username
If you’ve read the previous step, you’ll probably realize that recovering your Instagram account via your email address is a fairly similar procedure. Let’s break it down:
- When you try to log in on Instagram.com or the app, press the “Forget password” button
- You’ll notice two tabs. The email tab is already opened, so you don’t have to do anything here.
- Now you can choose: enter your email address or your username to send a password reset URL to your mailbox.
- Click on ‘Send email‘ to confirm.
- Head over to your email and click on the mail you’ve just received from Instagram to reset your password.
- Now you can delete your account.
How to delete your Instagram account without a password via your linked Facebook account
Perhaps you recall the massive acquisition of Instagram by Facebook? It didn’t take too long before both social network platforms started integrating, and it was also made possible for Facebook users to log in with their Facebook credentials instead.
If you’ve forgotten your Instagram password but you know that your Facebook account is linked, there’s a way to recover your password.
- Open the Instagram app (at this time, this trick doesn’t work on instagram.com, only the iOS, and Android apps).
- Now you can either Log in with Facebook or press the Forgot Password button.
- If you’re already logged in to Facebook on your device, you’ll see a “Continue as ….” button with your Facebook name.
- When the Facebook login has been completed, you’ll regain access to your Instagram to delete your profile.
How to delete your Instagram account once you’ve regained access
Got a new flashy password and you’ve regained access to your Insta? Perfect! But how can you delete your account now?
Luckily, the process is fairly simple. Simple head over to the “Delete Your Account” Instagram webpage online, which looks like this:
As you can see, this webpage still has the old Instagram design before its modern and colorful makeover.
You can not delete your Instagram account via a mobile device. The only way to get rid of your Insta profile is via a web browser.
Note: this will permanently delete your account. You will have the opportunity to download any data that Instagram has (your DM’s or your pictures, for example), but only before you delete your account.
Thirty days after your deletion submission, your account will be completely purged from Instagram.
Looking for an Instagram alternative? Consider these four up-and-coming Insta alternatives.
Is Instagram here to stay anyway? Some people are wondering if the social platform by Meta will ever die out, or if it has simply grown too large to ignore.
How to delete my Instagram account without a phone number, email, or linked Facebook?
But what if all the steps above don’t help out, and you still can’t delete your Instagram account? Perhaps someone hacked your account and your email address, or you can’t access your emails and text messages anymore because you already switched addresses or phone numbers.
Is there anything you can do in this case?
We’re not going to lie – that certainly makes the process a whole lot more complicated, but there might be a last resort.
You can simply head over to your Instagram account via another account (or ask a friend), and report the account for impersonating another person. Here are all the steps you’ll want to follow:
- With your device or by asking a friend, visit your old profile you’d like to delete.
- In the upper right corner, you’ll want to press and select ‘Report’.
- Next, you’ll want to select that ‘this account violates Instagram community guidelines’.
- Confirm the account that you’ll want to remove.
- To try and delete your old account, select the next option ‘This profile is pretending to be someone else‘.
- Instagram will want to know who is reporting it – simply select ‘Me‘ and give as many details as possible about why this old account is impersonating you.
With a bit of luck, the Instagram team will review your application and delete your old account even if you don’t have access to it.
If you’ve forgotten your Instagram account password, there’s no reason to fear just yet – there are tricks to recover your password via your phone number, your email, or even your linked Facebook account. And even if those things don’t work out, there’s a small chance that you can get rid of the account by reporting it.